Who can borrow from the library?
Indiana University faculty, staff, and students as well as Indiana residents may borrow Law Library materials. IU borrowers must present a valid IU identification card. Indiana residents can obtain a borrower’s card from the Circulation Desk.
All loans of library materials are subject to recall.
Course Reserve Materials: 4 hours
This includes items placed on reserve at the Circulation Desk for classes, the exam file, and similar materials.
Study Aids & Bluebooks: 24 hours (4 hours during finals)
Hornbooks, Nutshells, and Examples & Explanations shelved at the Circulation Desk may be borrowed for 24 hours.
Other Reserve Materials: 1 day (until midnight the day after checkout)
This includes the unbound periodicals and advance sheets.
Audiovisual: 7 days
This includes a collection of videotapes, DVDs, and audio cassettes.
- Law and other graduate students, staff: 30 days
- Undergraduates and IU residents: 2 weeks
- Non-law faculty: 6 months
- Law faculty: Until recalled
Check out to Study Carrel
Materials which have been designated “Circulate to Carrel Only” may be checked out to faculty offices and reserved carrels.
The following types of materials cannot be checked out and must be used on site:
- Rare books
- Reference (including ALR, CFR, digests, federal and state codes, first floor general reference materials, and legal encyclopedias)
- Current looseleaf services
- Case reporters
Borrowers are responsible for materials checked out in their names. It is the responsibility of each borrower to inform the university of a change in mailing address, telephone number, or e-mail address. Borrowers should inform the Law Library if their ID cards or library cards are lost or stolen.
Overdue notices are distributed only as a courtesy reminder. Regardless of whether a notice is received, patrons are responsible for returning materials by the due date to ensure that overdue fines are avoided.
- Regular materials: $0.25/day (non-IU-affiliated borrowers only)
- Four-hour and 24-hour reserve materials: $1.00/hour
- Overdue recalled items: $2.50/day
- Replacement for lost items: varies depending on cost
There is a maximum overdue fine of $50.00 per item. In addition to overdue fines, borrowers are charged replacement and processing costs for unreturned and lost items. Charges for damaged books will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Request a renewal in person at the Circulation Desk or by telephone at (812) 855-6404.
- Faculty, staff, and students may view a list of materials they currently have checked out and renew items using My Account in IUCAT.
- Submit a renewal request form online.
Reserve materials must be renewed in person or by phone. Items that have been recalled or placed on hold may not be renewed, and requests for renewal of interlibrary loan materials must be made with firstname.lastname@example.org.