The earlier you apply for housing, the better your selection and opportunities. One of the most common mistakes is to wait too long to begin the search for housing. The earlier you begin your search for housing, the more likely you are to get your room, apartment, or dormitory preference and to avoid problems.
It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the available options and reservation processes. The best resources available to you are:
- A general and complete guide to on- and off-campus housing
- Special housing (Summer, temporary, late arrivals)
- List of rental housing provided by the Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
- List of Rental Housing provided by the Graduate and Professional Student Organization (GPSO)
- IU Real Estate Office
- Email your Student Ambassador. While only you can decide where to live, your Student Ambassador can help you consider the pros and cons of living in a certain apartment complex or part of the city; identify places that are close to the law school or bus stops; or answer other questions you might have. Student Ambassadors receive an updated list of available housing close to the Law School (sometimes shared with other law students) each week that they are ready to share with you.
In 2019-2020, on-campus housing will be extremely limited due to the closure of several residence halls for renovations. However, there is a chance you may seek on-campus housing sometime during your stay in Bloomington, especially if you are an S.J.D. student. Students interested in on-campus housing will need to complete an application through the Residential Programs and Services (RPS) website. Most on-campus housing is located to the east or northeast of the law school. Campus bus service is a convenient way to reach the law school from your on-campus apartment. Graduate students may find that Eigenmann Residence Center, Campus View, Tulip Tree House, Evermann Apartments and Redbud Hill are top choices.
Exchange students who will only be in Bloomington for one semester are eligible to apply for a one-semester contract for on-campus housing. (Usually the contract is for the full academic year, and breaking the contract results in a hefty "breakage fee," so this arrangement saves you that expense.)
When you rent a room, apartment or house off campus, please be sure that you understand how leases work in this city and state. Many leases for off-campus properties are for a full year (12 months), not the academic year (9 months), so if you plan to leave Bloomington immediately after graduation, you will need to continue to pay rent and maintain the property in good condition, or you will need to find someone to sublease the property. Keep this in mind when you are deciding whether to live on campus or off campus.
University Properties (not dorms)
- Indiana University Apartments
Efficiencies and 1-3 bedroom apartments on-campus. Rental cost includes all utilities, cable, internet and maintenance fees. www.rps.indiana.edu.
- Indiana University Real Estate - Apartments and Houses
For more information, contact the Property Management Office at the Indiana University Real Estate Department, email@example.com. Many properties, both apartments and houses, are available near the Law School. You can search the property listings to see available housing options. If you are planning to live with roommates, all roommates will need to complete a Housing Application form. When all of the Housing Application forms are received the review process will begin. When, and if, you are approved, you will each be notified by e-mail and provided with a list of available properties. This DOES NOT guarantee property availability. Indiana University Real Estate rents property on a "first come, first served" basis. You are not guaranteed a property until a security deposit has been placed and a lease has been signed. Questions, 812-855-3054.
- Cort Furniture Rental, nationwide delivery
- American Rental, 1416 Liberty Dr. 812-336-4444
- Colortyme Rent to Own, 3251 W. Third St. 812-333-9966
- Raper's Rent to Own, 482 S. Liberty Dr. 812-323-8020
- Rent-A-Center, 4023 W. Third St. 812-323-7416