Scott J. Shackelford
Affiliated Professor of Law; Associate Professor of Business Law and Ethics; Cybersecurity Program Chair, IU Bloomington; Director, Ostrom Workshop Program on Cybersecurity and Internet Governance
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (812) 856-6728
- Location Hodge Hall 4080
- B.A. summa cum laude, Indiana University
- Masters in International Relations, first honors, University of Cambridge
- PhD, Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
- JD with academic and pro bono distinction, Stanford University
Scott J. Shackelford is an associate professor at the Indiana University Kelley School of Business, where he teaches cybersecurity law and policy, sustainability, and international business law. He is a research fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Program on Science and International Affairs, and drector of the Ostrom Workshop Program on Cybersecurity and Internet Governance at Indiana University. He is also an affiliate scholar with Stanford’s Center for Internet and Society, a senior fellow at the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, and a term member at the Council on Foreign Relations.
Professor Shackelford has written more than 100 books, articles, and essays for diverse outlets including the American Business Law Journal, University of Illinois Law Review, and the Wisconsin Law Review, which have been covered by National Public Radio, The Atlantic Wire, Politico, and Newsweek. He is also the author of Managing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Business, and Relations: In Search of Cyber Peace (Cambridge University Press, 2014), and has written op-eds for the Christian Science Monitor, Huffington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, and the Washington Times.
Both Professor Shackelford’s academic work and teaching have been recognized with numerous awards, including a Hoover Institution National Fellowship, a Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study Distinguished Fellowship, the 2014 Indiana University Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, and the 2015 Elinor Ostrom Award. Professor Shackelford has presented his research on cybersecurity at diverse forums including universities such as Harvard, Notre Dame, the University of Michigan, University of Texas-Austin, and Stanford, as well as for the Prime Minister and Cabinet Office of the Government of Australia, NATO, and the Harvard Business Review.
In the media
- Authored "Facebook’s social responsibility should include privacy protection," The Conversation (04/12/2018)
- Quoted in "Indiana University suggests creation of independent cybersecurity agency," WBIW (02/19/2018)
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2018), "Business, Music, and Cyber Peace," Indiana Law Journal, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, Scott J., and Janine Hiller (2018), "The Firm and Common Pool Resource Theory: Unpacking the Rise of Benefit Corporations," American Business Law Journal, forthcoming.
- Shakelford, Scott J. (2017), "Seeking a Safe Harbor in a Widening Sea: Unpacking the EJC’s Schrems Decision and What it Means for Transatlantic Relations," Seton Hall Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, Scott (2017), "Human Rights and Cybersecurity Due Diligence: A Comparative Study," Michigan Journal of Law Reform, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, Scott J., Eric Richards, Anjanette Raymond, Jaclyn Kerr, and Andreas Kuehn (2017), "iGovernance: The Future of Multi-Stakeholder Internet Governance in the Wake of the Apple Encryption Saga," University of North Carolina Journal of International Law, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, S. (2017), "The Law of Cyber Peace," Chicago Journal of International Law, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, S., and S. Myers (2017), "Block-by-Block: Leveraging the Power of Blockchain Technology to Build Trust and Promote Cyber Peace," Yale Journal of Law and Technology, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2017), "‘NotPetya’ Ransomware Attack Shows Corporate Social Responsibility Should Include Cybersecurity," The Conversation, June 27, 2017. View Full Text (also published in Asia Times, View Full Text).
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2017), "Welcome to the ‘Managed’ Internet: Unpacking Cyber-Sovereignty in China’s New Cybersecurity Law," Asia & the Pacific Society Policy Forum, June 15, 2017 (also published in Asia Times). View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2017), "The Cost of Online Crime: Preventing Cyberattacks and Hacks on the Internet for Cheap," International Business Times, April 18, 2017. View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2017), "Should Cybersecurity Be a Human Right?" The Conversation, Feb. 13, 2017 (republished by the World Economic Forum as "Going Digital: Should our Human Rights Apply Online as Well?"). View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2016), "Decrypting the Global Encryption Debate," Huffington Post, Oct. 20, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott J., and Scott Russell (2017), "Operationalizing Cybersecurity Due Diligence: A Transatlantic Study," 67 University of South Carolina Law Review 1.
- Shackelford, Scott, Michael Sulmeyer, Bruce Schneier, Anne Boustead, Ben Buchanan, and Trey Herr (2017), “Making Democracy Harder to Hack: Should Elections Be Classified as 'Critical Infrastructure?'” 50 Michigan Journal of Law Reform, 629.
- Shackelford, Scott J., and Steve Myers (2017), "Opinion: The Tech Behind Bitcoin Could Reinvent Cybersecurity," Christian Science Monitor, Feb. 27, 2017. View Full Text
- Raymond, Anjanette, Scott J. Shackelford, Rakshana Balakrishnan, Prakhar Dixit, Julianna Gjonaj and Rachith Kavi (2017), "When Toasters Attack: Enhancing the ‘Security of Things’ through Polycentric Governance," University of Illinois Law Review 415.
- Shackelford, Scott J., Michael Sulmeyer, Ben Buchanan, Amanda N. Craig Deckard, and Brian Micic (2017), "From Russia with Love: Understanding the Russian Cyber Threat to U.S. Critical Infrastructure," Nebraska Law Review, forthcoming.
- Shackelford, Scott, and Andraz Kastelic (2016), "A State-Centric Cyber Peace? Analyzing the Current State and Impact of National Cybersecurity Strategies on Enhancing Global Cybersecurity," New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy, 18, 895.
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2016), "On Climate Change and Cyber Attacks: Leveraging Polycentric Governance to Mitigate Global Collective Action Problems," Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 18, 653.
- Stemler, Abbey, Scott J. Shackelford & Eric L. Richards (2016), "Paris, Panels, and Protectionism: Matching U.S. Rhetoric with Reality to Save the Planet," XX Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law XX
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2016), "Opinion: How to Fix an Internet of Broken Things," Christian Science Monitor Passcode, Oct. 26, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott J. (2016), "Zoom Inside: The Case for Cybersecurity Clinics and What They Can Teach Your Firm," Security Roundtable, September 26, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, Scott, and Tim Fort (2016), "Sustainable Cybersecurity: Applying Lessons from the Green Movement to Managing Cyber Attacks," University of Illinois Law Review, 5, 1995-2032.
- Shakelford, Scott J., Scott Russell, and Andreas Kuehn (2016), "Unpacking the International Law on Cybersecurity Due Diligence: Lessons from the Public and Private Sectors," Chicago Journal of International Law, 17, 1.
- Cybersecurity and privacy
- International law and relations