Skip to content

Mediation for LLMs

B771 is taught by C. Stafford

This course explores civil mediation as a method of dispute resolution and lays a foundation for the development of advocacy skills in the mediation environment. Class sessions will explore real world mediation in many practice areas from the perspective of the client, the advocacy attorney, and the mediator. We ll work on negotiation strategies in the mediation context. This course will cover relevant authority and rules governing mediation and will include frequent discussions on legal ethics in the mediation setting.

Written work will consist of four assignments: a reflection on a book on negotiation, a Confidential Mediation Statement; a paper comparing mediation customs and practices between the US and a country of the student s choice, and preparation of a detailed mediated agreement. These written assignments will count for 60% of the course grade, with the remaining 40% of the course grade based on participation in class discussions and role playing exercises. There will be no end of the semester course examination. Frequent role playing will be used to explore and reinforce mediation skills that have been discussed in class.

This course will be limited to 20 participants. Satisfactory completion of this course will enable the new lawyer to understand the role of mediation in the justice system and prepare the lawyer to represent a client in a mediation session.