Activities and Organizations
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Project at the IU Maurer School of Law provides pro bono legal research and advocacy services to Indiana LGBT advocacy organizations and LGBT Hoosiers.
The Project engages law students, attorneys, scholars, and LGBT advocates to address the unmet legal needs of Indiana’s LGBT community and support equality efforts of Indiana LGBT organizations.
Our current work
The Maurer School of Law LGBT Project provides pro bono services on discrimination, legislation, and education matters on behalf of Indiana LGBT advocacy organizations. Our work includes:
- Analysis of opposite-sex marriage benefits and legal research;
- Drafting civil-union and domestic-partner legislation for the State of Indiana;
- Working with school corporations to encourage adoption of anti-bullying policies;
- Helping transgendered citizens navigate the process of changing names and gender markers on state and federal identification documents;
- Drafting anti-discrimination ordinances in the areas of housing, employment, and public accommodations.
How to get involved
- Maurer students: The LGBT Project is seeking additional students who are interested in supporting the Indiana LGBT community.
- LGBT organizations and groups: Contact us if your group needs LGBT-related legal advice, or if you would like to be a partner with us on a specific project or initiative.
- Attorneys: We are always in need of attorneys willing to offer pro bono services.
- Contact us at email@example.com
All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or
identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in
which to achieve their full potential.” — Harvey Milk