Activities and Organizations
Business and Law Society (BLS)
Entrepreneurship, finance, investment management, non-profit management, contract drafting, commercial litigation, marketing, venture capital, international business . . . . The intersection of law and commerce is pervasive.
To that end, the Business & Law Society (BLS) at Indiana University Maurer School of Law aims to expose its students to the legal frameworks that enable commerce. And it is our goal to achieve this result with as much practical, hands-on experience as possible – business law related competitions, writing experience on business related topics, and networking with faculty and alumni.
- Speaker events: speakers include Maurer faculty and alumni, and other professionals.
- Transactional Drafting Competition: an internal competition aimed at giving students a taste for drafting and negotiating a deal. (Fall)
- Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC): an internal competition aimed at giving students practical insight into entrepreneurship and venture capital. Unlike business plan competitions in which students pitch their own ideas to investors, at VCIC the students are the investors, and real entrepreneurs pitch to them. (Spring)
- Mentoring Sessions: 2L and 3L students assist 1L and 2L students by mentoring them through the rigors of law school and in the search for employment.
- Alumni Mentor Program: 1L students are paired with alumni mentors to help jumpstart their networks and learn from their mentor’s experiences.
- White Paper Groups: small teams of students collaborate on short papers to answer timely business questions.
- Pablo Puente (firstname.lastname@example.org), President
- Farah Alkayed, Vice President
- Tim Gordon, Treasurer
- Julianna Gjonaj,
Events & Communications
- Mike Tenenboym, Alumni Affairs
- Adam Zacher, Competition Coordinator