Buying a computer for law school
We suggest you buy a new laptop computer that meets our Option One specifications (below) before coming to campus. But if you already own a laptop, review Option Two — if it works for you now, it should work for some part of your time here.
Financial aid implications
Before we dive into those details, our director of financial aid wants you to know that the cost of a computer is not included in your direct costs. You may request that the cost of a new computer (up to $2,000) be added to your financial aid budget (increasing the amount you may borrow). Because most students can live comfortably on less than our standard law school budget, there is often sufficient funding already in the budget for a computer.
If you do decide to request an increased budget to include computer costs, our director of financial aid will begin accepting those appeals in early September.
The laptop computer you'll need
Option one: new laptop
- New Windows laptop
- Processor: 2.5Ghz or better quad core AMD or Intel processor
- Memory (RAM): at least 8GB (more is better)
- Operating system: 64 bit Windows 10
- New Mac laptop*
- Any currently shipping Apple MacBook (MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air) will have adequate hardware and software
- *NOTE (July 2018): Indiana Law has received word from ExamSoft that the newly released MacBook Pros are NOT currently compatible with Examplify. Until they announce that these devices are compatible, you are advised to refrain from purchasing a July 2018 MacBook Pro.
ExamSoft will work diligently to resolve this incompatibility. When we hear that they have done so, we will let you know. To assist you in identifying these devices, the model number for each variation of the new 2018 MacBook Pro begins with the characters ‘MR9’.
Option two: minimum laptop
- Minimum Windows requirements
- Processor: 2.0 Ghz or better dual core AMD or Intel processor
- Memory (RAM): at least 4GB (more is better)
- Operating system: Windows 7, 8.1, or 10*
- Minimum Mac requirements
- Any Apple MacBook manufactured in 2015 or later
- Operating system: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or later**
While recent Windows Surface Pro tablets are supported, tablets running iOS (iPads), Android, or Windows RT are not supported for exams and are not appropriate laptop computers.Additionally, computers running Chrome OS, Linux and Windows 10 S are not supported and will not work with the exam software.
Printing wirelessly from a Mac
Use your IU user name (excluding @iu.edu or @indiana.edu) as your Mac user name. Otherwise, you will have trouble printing or sharing files on the IU network.
* Windows 10 is the preferred Windows operating system at IU. You may download a Windows 10 upgrade for free from IUWare.