Indiana University faculty, staff, and students as well as Indiana residents may borrow library materials.
University borrowers must present a valid IU identification card. Indiana residents may obtain a Library Borrower’s Card from the Circulation Desk.
This includes items placed on reserve at the circulation desk for courses, the exam file, and other high-use materials. Reserve items may be checked out for four hours.
Hornbooks and nutshells shelved at the circulation desk may be borrowed for 24 hours. Unbound periodicals and advance sheets may be borrowed for one day.
This includes a collection of video tapes, DVDs, and audio cassettes. All audio-visual items have a seven-day loan period.
Indiana University law students, graduate students, and staff may check out regularly circulating material for 30 days. Faculty members have a six-month loan period. All others receive a two-week loan.
Materials which have been designated “Circulate to Carrel Only” may be checked out to faculty offices and student carrels.
The following types of materials do not circulate:
- Rare Books
- Reference (including ALR, CFR, digests, federal and state codes, first floor general reference materials, and legal encyclopedias)
- Current looseleaf services
- National Reporter System
Borrowers are responsible for materials checked out in their names. It is the responsibility of each borrower to inform the university of a change of mailing address, telephone number, or e-mail address. Borrowers should inform the Law Library if their ID cards or library cards are lost or stolen.
Overdue notices are distributed only as a courtesy reminder. Regardless of whether a notice is received, patrons are responsible for returning materials by the due date to ensure that overdue fines are avoided.
- Four-hour and 24-hour reserve materials: $1.20 per hour
- One-day unbound periodicals and advance sheets: $5.00 per day
- Home-use loans and audio-visual: $0.25 per day
- Overdue recalled items: $2.50 per day
All loans are subject to recall. There is a maximum overdue fine of $50.00 per item. In addition to overdue fines, borrowers are charged replacement and processing costs for unreturned and lost items. Charges for damaged books will be assessed on an individual basis.
Materials may be renewed in one of the following ways:
- Request a renewal in person at the circulation desk or by telephone at (812) 855-6404.
- Faculty, staff, and students may view a list of materials they currently have checked out and renew items using the "My account" option in IUCAT.
- Submit a renewal request form online.
Note that reserve materials must be renewed in person or by phone, items that have been recalled or placed on hold may not be renewed, and requests for renewal of interlibrary loan materials must be made with email@example.com.