Federal student aid

Application required

The form used to apply for federal student financial aid is called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA, and is available from FAFSA's website. For the 2018-2019 academic year, you will be using your 2016 income and asset information to complete the FAFSA. You should also include IU's school code (001809) so that we have access to your FAFSA data.

IRS data retrieval option

When filing the FAFSA, please try to use the IRS data retrieval tool. Importing your IRS data directly into the FAFSA will streamline and expedite the processing of your financial aid application and could help you avoid having to submit additional documentation to the financial aid office later in the academic year. For additional help in completing the FAFSA, please go to FAFSA's help page, or call (800) 4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Either way, it’s a good idea to make a copy of the FAFSA for your own records.

Filing priority date: March 10th

But you may file the FAFSA anytime after October 1, 2017. Filing early helps you avoid the rush that occurs closer to the March 10th priority deadline, and ensures that the money will be available when you need it to pay for your education. You may also file after March 10th to receive Federal Direct loans.

A special note for Summer Starters

If you are considering the Summer Start program, please note that in order for you to receive federal financial aid for the summer of 2018, we must have your 2017-2018 FAFSA data. We CANNOT use the 2018-2019 FAFSA data to process summer loans, because summer sessions are tied to the end of the academic year at IU. You will need to either fill out a new application or update a previously filed 2017-2018 FAFSA. Please note: The 2017-2018 FAFSA uses your 2015 income information.

If you filed the 2017-2018 FAFSA as an undergraduate, you will need to update it with Indiana University—Bloomington's school code, which is 001809. This update can be made anytime, but must be done prior to June 30, 2018 because the federal processor’s system does not allow updates for last year’s data after that date.

Notification of your financial aid

Generally, if you file your FAFSA by March 10th, you will be sent an electronic notification outlining your financial aid, including loans from the IU Maurer School of Law Financial Aid Office in early June. If you decide to borrow federal student loans, you will also receive subsequent instructions on how to complete and sign a master promissory note.

How you receive your money

All student financial assistance, including scholarships and fellowships, is credited to your student account through the IU Office of the Bursar. All charges incurred through the university are covered first, and then a refund for any remaining funds is released to you by the start of each semester or session. To expedite this process, you should consider setting up direct deposit, a free service that deposits your financial aid refund directly into the bank account of your choice.

Refund policy

The Maurer School of Law follows Indiana University's refund policies, which can be found in the university's Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin. Note that the Law School's policy follows the policy for undergraduate students in the flat fee range (described at the top of the web page), and not the policy for graduate students described on that page.